Sunday, September 23, 2012

Haircare...Naturally

"How long is your hair?"  I think that's a question many Sikhs can list as a FAQ.  Uncut and natural hair is my pride.  Under my turban, I have hair that reaches my knees.  No, it's not thick, luscious, and voluminous as those advertisements on television--I think that's a hard standard to meet without using all the styling products in Target's hair care aisle.  My hair is soft and thin as the first hairs on my baby head.

I wear a turban all day and only let my hair down after washing, which means my hair is rarely exposed to the damage possible from contemporary environmental factors.

My hair is washed once a week.  Sometimes I use a yogurt hair mask, washed out after an hour or so with two doses of shampoo and a handful of conditioner.  Dove.  I also like to give myself scalp massages using different oils: olive oil, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, and notorious Vatika for its distinctive Indian smell.  If you were to go over to an Indian with hair that looks like it has been well-oiled, you will be able to smell it.

I use it because it is a combination of different products like henna, lemon, amla, and coconut made into a thick oil that is great for before-shower scalp massages.  No, my hair is not allowed to smell of Vatika.  It smells like my Dove Damage Therapy Conditioner.

I have tried some high end products like Biosilk, but nothing beats my yogurt.  That's apparently the way my parents used to wash their hair growing up.  That or a bar of laundry soap.  Do not try laundry soap!  Yogurt has given my hair a natural shine and helped moisturize dry strands.

Give natural products a try.  Even if your hair isn't down to your knees.

Most of these products are great for skin care too.  If you have issues with under eye darkness and puffiness, try the sweet almond oil.  It's a great overnight moisturizer for the whole face too.  Happy naturalization!

No comments:

Post a Comment