Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Bhai Vir Singh Ji's Advice

I have been reading selections from Bhai Vir Singh Ji's Guru Nanak Chamatkaar and have attempted to translate a selection that caught my attention. Bhai Vir Singh Ji's intended audience is the Sikh pursuing spiritual progression. However, this does not mean the Bhai Vir Singh Ji's work is limited to a certain group. I feel as human beings, we have much to learn from all spiritual souls. I would also recommend reading the works of Thich Nhat Hanh, a Budhhist monk and writer.



Bhai Vir Singh Ji's Advice


Be certain of the following:
1. God exists, definitely exists.
2. Even if I can't see Him, because the eyes of my soul haven't opened yet.
3. The way to open them is by meditation.
4. I should recite Gurbani, listen to Gurbani, do kirtan, listen to kirtan, and immerse myself in meditation.
5. While meditating, doing kirtan, or reciting Gurbani, I should do so with the awareness that I am in God's presence. In the presence of The One who oversees the entire universe. He is listening to my prayer, I should be wholly present and pray out of reverence and love. If my mind wanders, I should stop it. If it doesn't stop, I should try again, pray for it to stop flying about, beg Guru Nanak Dev Ji, "Just like you blessed attentiveness to the Qazi doing Namaaz once, bless me as well. You are always alive; within or without the body, you are always with us; you are infinitely illuminating. Be generous with your blessings as you were to the Qazi, give me presence while meditating, praying, and reciting Gurbani. You're merciful, merciful to the meek, you are the Guru and I am your Sikh (student); even if I am a Sikh only by name, I am still your Sikh. Because I am yours, gift me the following: being present while reciting Gurbani, being present while praying, and being present while meditating."

1 comment:

  1. Bhai Vir Singh Ji's writings are amazingh, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete